Monday, December 8, 2008

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell or The Bon App tit Fast Easy Fresh Cookbook

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

Author: Tucker Max

My name is Tucker Max, and I am an asshole. I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead. But, I do contribute to humanity in one very important way: I share my adventures with the world.
-from the Introduction

Actual reader feedback:

"I am completely baffled as to how you can congratulate yourself for being a womanizer and a raging drunk, or think anyone cares about an idiot like you. Do you really think that exploiting the insecurities of others while getting wasted is a legitimate thing to offer?"

"Thank you, thank you, thank you-for sharing with us your wonderful tales of drunken revelry, for teaching me what it means to be a man, for just existing so I know that there is another option; I too can say `screw the system' and be myself and have fun. My life truly began when I finished reading your stories. Now, when faced with a quandary about what course of action I should take, I just ask myself, `What Would Tucker Do?'-and I do it, and I am a better man for it."

"I find it truly appalling that there are people in the world like you. You are a disgusting, vile, repulsive, repugnant, foul creature. Because of you, I don't believe in God anymore. No just God would allow someone like you to exist."

"I'll stay with God as my lord, but you are my savior. I just finished reading your brilliant stories, and I laughed so hard I almost vomited. I want to bring that kind of joy to people. You're an artist of the highest order and a true humanitarian to boot. I'm inboth shock and awe at how much I want to be you."

"You are the coolest person I can even imagine existing. If you slept with my girlfriend, it'd make me love her more."



The Bon AppŠ¹tit Fast Easy Fresh Cookbook

Author: Barbara Fairchild

Bon Appetit's first cookbook, published in Fall 2006, was hailed as "an invigorating compilation of greatest hits" by Publisher's Weekly in a starred review. In this new book, based on Bon Appetit magazine's "Fast Easy Fresh" column, Bon Appetit Editor-in-Chief Barbara Fairchild has collected 1,100 of the magazine's all-time best-loved recipes that are perfect for quick, easy cooking at home. Written in the approachable style so beloved by loyal Bon Appetit readers, this book includes recipes for every time of day and every occasion, including breakfasts, appetizers, soups and salads, pizzas, pastas, main courses, vegetables, cakes, pies, cookies, and much more. Recipes encourage the use of fresh ingredients and are accompanied by beautiful all-new four-color photography. Each recipe is simple enough for everyday weeknight cooking, but special and elegant enough to serve for guests as well. With delicious food, gorgeous photography, and straightforward, expert advice, this compendium of fresh, easy recipes is the ultimate resource for anyone who loves cooking at home.

Publishers Weekly

Culled from Bon Appetit magazine's "Fast, Fresh, Easy" column, this recipe compendium is one of the largest available for those who love to cook and eat well but lack time on weeknights to make dishes that require hours to prepare. Although Fairchild forgoes estimates of how long each dish may take to make, and a number of entries may not qualify as "fast" for some cooks, especially beginners, the recipes are generally simple, if not foolproof, and cover a vast territory of cuisines. Ingredient lists are short, seldom running over 10 items and rely on the use of the freshest, finest foods available; a helpful shopping guide at the beginning is a welcome aid to those not yet versed in the ingredients' seasonality or optimal appearance. Similarly, a wealth of boxed hints and tips offer an extra level of help to get people cooking confidently. Even if the "fast" and "easy" labels don't always apply, anyone looking for a reliable source of relatively uncomplicated, tasty dishes will be thrilled to find this. Color photos not seen by PW. (Oct.)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Library Journal

This follow-up to The Bon Appétit Cookbook presents hundreds of quick and simple recipes from the magazine's popular "Fast Easy Fresh" feature. An introductory "Shopping Guide" covers buying and storing produce, meat, and fish, and dozens of sidebars and boxes provide more information on ingredients and techniques. The recipes, inspired by a wide range of cuisines, include make-ahead guidelines whenever possible, and headnotes offer serving suggestions and variations. Sure to appeal to any busy cook as well as the magazine's numerous fans, this is highly recommended.



Table of Contents:

Introduction.

1. The Bon App‚tit Shopping Guide.

2. Quick Starters.

3. Chilies, Stews, and Soups.

4. Salads.

5. Sandwiches, Burgers, and Pizza.

6. Pasta and Rice.

7. Chicken and More Poultry.

8. Salmon and More Fish.

9. Shrimp and More Shellfish.

10. Beef, Pork, and Lamb.

11. Potatoes, Grains, and Beans.

12. Vegetables.

13. Breakfast and Brunch.

14. Quick Breads.

15. Granitas, Sorbets, Ice Cream, and Frozen Desserts.

16. Cookies & Brownies, Pies & Tarts, and Easy Cakes.

17. Custards, Puddings, and Fruit Desserts.

18. Drinks.

No comments: